Friday, January 23, 2009

In the Hot Seat


Some "springtime" on my windowsill. A shy little orchid, reluctant to fully show her beautiful face and a very large showy Amaryllis. Amaryllis are fun- they grow fast and lots of proud color. We've had repeated snowfall every few days and fortunately lots of sun in between. Temperatures are fluctuating-- some days it's so cold when it hits the teens or into the twenties-- it's a heat wave !



I have spent a great deal of time in the tractor seat- moving snow and using the snow blower, which goes on the back of the tractor and is PTO driven- works pretty awesome. For Christmas, my #1 son presented me with a Lava seat, which you pop in the microwave for 5 minutes and keeps your hiney warm while "astride" the tractor. It's pretty nice ! Makes me wonder if there is such a hiney heater for saddles. I like being in the "hot" seat now !

Most of the time when referencing my children- I use their birth order number-- a la Charlie Chan style.. if anyone of you out there are old enough to remember the old Charlie Chan movies. My mother turned me on to those and I always loved them. So now-- I have number 1 son, number 2 son and so on. My daughter is Number 1 daughter, but Number 4 child.


We spent the week sneaking in our riding together-- Number 1 daughter and I. We rode out again with Keri and OYY Fiona. They make a nice pair, but Keri misses Teasel when he stays back home. Seems as though Fiona is a traffic attractor- much like OYY Elektra always is when out on the road... we had quite a few varied passing vehicles. The girls trotted out side by side nicely, but from time to time-- they played a silly 'cut the other one off if possible' game.





OYY Nimue is continuing her cart training in the indoor, as my trainer wants to do some driving shows with her- the first is in April. Here's a video of Nimue back in the cart after quite a time off. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wER9vBQBr1E
Lisa will continue to work with Nimue to set her head and slow down a bit on the turns, get some more flexibility between the shafts. Lisa also needs to practice holding a whip and driving at the same time, as the whip is the "cue". Lisa has printed out all the patterns and rules of various test levels so she and Nimue will make a good showing.


OYY Niobe got out a couple of times. She went down the road for her first trip off the farm. She was a little apprehensive-- doing the trot/stop and look thing but the more she goes out the more she is going to love it. After "ponying" her with the ATV, I know she is capable of moving out- as she can trot alongside the 4-wheeler at 12 miles an hour with ease. She is going to make such a nice large curly pony for someone, either for a broodmare or a comfy very safe riding mount. Her dam, Biscuit, (also a large pony curly mare) is out of Anniva M who is out of a Damele mare Niva D and Benny Damele's now deceased Ruby Red King- a very nice registered Morgan. I bred Biscuit to a beautiful black Morgan pony sized stud (14.1 hh) who is quiet under saddle and driving, KFS Quaczar. A nice Morgan makes a good cross with a Curly and now Niobe has it twice in her background.


Here he is being schooled in the ring as a 4 year old. It is a nice match- especially for disposition and trainability.


Niobe has 2 video's- each taken within two days of one another- one in the indoor- the other of her first trip out.




OYY Tupelo Honey is a gorgeous large pony curly mare, 14 hands, born in 2004 who has always, it seems, remained on the back burner. We always talked of keeping her- because she is out of some great valuable bloodlines- Fredell, Frostfire's Tadpole, Damele. She's sweet and fancy- a nice size, walks out nicely and has a beautiful trot- could go either western or english. Lots of potential there in one package. She also has many siblings being ridden and competing successfully. Two weeks ago, my daughter and I decided to put her on the market. We can't keep everything and another breeder will love having those bloodlines or another rider will love having her as a mount. Tupelo can be used to breed down-- to make some excellent ponies, or at her size- breed up for a smaller sporty horse. She's registered with both the ABC and the ICHO.












OYY Dante had his first ride down the road by himself yesterday. What a brave handsome young man ! He's coming along nicely and I know he's going to make a super trail horse as he loves a challenge. The more distractions, the more focused he becomes. He really enjoyed the "obstacle" course.






OYY Finnegan, my little medium sized pony stud, had his chance for a nice workout. He also went out for a quick trot down the road to the mile marker and back. A fresh video of him is on my list for things to do. My daughter is excited to show him this spring/summer in some dressage. He's smart, quiet, and loves his work. Soon, his first offspring will be on the ground, so that is something to look forward to.



My other absolute favorite little guy- OYY Salvadore- also came up for some more schooling as Zoe will be taking him to shows this year as well. I love all my horses- but this guy is very much my personal curly darling. In addition to being handsome and gorgeous ~ throw anything at him and he's up for it ~ Salvadore has such an infectious adorable energy about him.
Here's his video from yesterday
So- despite it being the dead of winter, we are busy in the saddle. Now if I can get a brief reprieve from the backside of the camera... I'll get my backside into the saddle.
Enjoy your day ~

No comments: