Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Stringing Fence with the help of some Puppies

Sunday is the traditional day of rest-- but it seems I typically use that day to complete needed tasks I did not have time for during the week. I had an idea for a new fenceline that would form a lane of sorts-- a double fenceline creating a "dead-zone" of 40 feet which would, in theory, open up the possibilities to use each area for studs and mares-- with enough space between them to avoid any interest between the two. We'll see in the future if this works.


I gathered up all my supplies and tools- and the puppies, now 8 weeks old came along for the adventure. We headed out to the area I call the Orchard, because it's an old (very old) orchard :) I have been working on clearing this orchard, trying to bring it back... it was once a tangle of weeds, thorny brush, low growing junipers and pines. Most of the wood from the orchard went to warming the house this past winter. I think I can seed at least half of it this summer. Last summer, whenever I got the chance, I dug rock and pulled stumps with the tractor. It's looking a lot more clear and sunny now- with a few nice spreading maples for shade here and there.



The new fence will line this "road" that I have been building forever, which gives me access to more of the area with the tractor, so I can haul logs and firewood out from the lower regions.

Still more pine to clear out in here. I used the trees to string the fence.





The puppies had a great time investigating... running in the little brooks and climbing rocks. Their antics were a fun distraction--





The little first born fellow we call Dmitri was a big help carrying some of the supplies- The pups were also all a big help in opening the bags of insulators for me.





The fence is up-- for now I have my 3 younger studs on one side and my bred ponies on the other... but now I have the option of putting open mares in the orchard if my theory works out.




Today, the puppies get their 8 week inoculations and Wednesday the 2 girls- the one we call Rita (the lovely meter maid) and the chubbly girl her new owners have named Bailey are leaving. We'll miss them !





The weekend was the last of the warmer springlike weather - on Monday the wind was biting and the temperatures nippy. Back to wearing long underwear for now !
Enjoy your day ~

No comments: