Thursday, October 22, 2009

Busy Day with many rewards

A week ago, I was ready to throw in the towel and call it almost winter. I brought out all the extension cords so I could plug in my water heaters and picked up all the hoses.. it was cold and miserable with snow in the forecast. Today however- Wednesday.. it's Indian Summer all over again ! a beautiful fall day full of many rewards.. You can read about our super day on the Dream On Curls Blog - We had quite a few enthusiastic participants travel to the farm for National Disability Mentoring Day. As I mentioned in the Dream On Curls blog- there are many days I feel too much drudgery and endless chores.. but hearing and seeing these people's response to their day at the center made all my work worthwhile :)

After the big and busy morning hosting a crowd, Zoe and I were free to get in the saddle and trot away our last bit of open time before the end of the day. Keri and Reverie are beginning to feel a good bond for each other- as Keri dances when she sees Reverie now. We trotted the 10 mile loop- just long enough for Rev- who still needs to muscle up and get some stamina. We got in a little cantering - as Rev also is just getting used to the idea of cantering in a balanced way.




Every time she goes out- she acquires more co-ordination and confidence in her abilities.

Just a plain beautiful fall day- and a fun trot !

Here's the back of our T-shirts - Dream On Curls Riding Center, ordered from OMD Embroidery.


These t's are for sale for our Scholarship Fund. If you'd like to own one for youself, e-mail me.





We were just getting up a good trot, when the horses spotted these silly roosters on the side of the road. How many times have we passed by here and never seen them ?

They must be brand new neighbors. At the end of this road, there are also new residents in the field on that corner- quite a few horses and a large black wooly llama. Horses don't seem to care for llama much.

















Vermont back-roads in fall. It's hunting season now remember- so not much trail riding for awhile.

Fortunately, the dirt roads in our vicinity are pretty scenic and we can put together some super loops for a good journey out.




I like building sheds- so it seems every year I am working on one, replacing an older one or remodeling an already existing run-in. I have been trying to finish up this shed for some time now. For some reason, I built it far too tall. Usually, when I erect a shed- because I am farily short- the shed results in being not so tall.. so this time I vowed to make an effort toward TALL-- but this is too high in the air. It's been difficult to work on it because I don't care for heights anymore then the horses like llama's. I've got part of the back roof on- and waiting for another day to start the front part... then the siding.


This area is divided into two now- so there's the reason for two sheds. The other little run-in is old- as it was standing when I moved here. However, it was in an entirely different location and was moved. Earlier in the summer, I finally got tired of looking at the roof- which was old, rusty and unattractive. I stripped that tin roof off and put the green metal on so it would match most of the other roofs on the property. Now, when I gaze out my bedroom window- I have a nicer view :)


And here are the three ponies that will live in the new shed - OYY Fiona in the back, Tall Trees Sassie in the middle and OYY HummingBird in the front. Sassie has a full time job as lesson horse- Fiona will be starting her job next week as a part time lesson horse and HummingBird is still too young but we plan to keep her as a pony broodmare and lesson horse.
Enjoy your day ~

No comments: