Saturday, May 15, 2010

The Gathering


Finally - it's lilac time.. I've been talking about them for some weeks now... just about open here with a fairly warm and beautiful spring time in Vermont.


And anyone who reads my blog with regularity knows what these lilacs represent -- my Dad's birthday, Mother's Day and my birthday too !! (along with a bunch of my very good friends also extra special May babies). What a great month !! :)






















I used to be a big Highlander fan, in the movie the Gathering was the reunion of the last few... but on Saturday May 8th... we all attended a Gathering of a different kind and it was not only of a few - but many.
Everyone headed to my home state ~ Rhode Island ~ for a party for my Dad and Grampa to a horde, Great Grampa to even more !



When I was quite young, I was a follower of Charlie Brown comic strips and saved nearly every one. In one - Charlie Brown was quoted as saying -- You can't go home again... Too young to grasp this concept, I asked my dad who tried his best to explain but I did not truly understand until I matured.... So that home -- It’s definitely a part of me. Much of what or who I am has been shaped by that place. But, I’ve changed a lot since then. I don't get home sick much - as my home is in Vermont where my new nest clings steadfastly to its cozy perch... but this birthday Gathering was a perfect visit and a great moment. Old homes can be re-visited and enjoyed.. from a new perspective everytime you alight there.




The weather was perfection... the get together was held at my younger brother's house in Portsmouth. Even though my Dad was the central star of the day -- I was thrilled to experience the opportunity to have all my own children and grand-children assembled in one location for the day !



Two cuties - Olivia and Molly telling my son Nick something important.

All 5 sons and my daughter were present with their children -- an equal number of 5 boys and 5 girls !!






The newest grand-child (great grand-child for my Dad) is Caliope.. a chubby little bird always chirping for her nourishment. Surely she will live up to her name and make lots of music in her lifetime.












Caliope's older sister Beylah who is an adorable young woman who knows everything !









I did not snap many photo's of the boys -- they were off running and hiding and exploring... Patrick and Kyle -- two brothers who are like Lewis and Clark... ever on an expedition... Jebediah- off with the boys -- he has the tough job of being older brother to two sisters, Olivia and Molly. Owen also is the older brother of two sisters (Beylah and Caliope) .... Zoe's children.. Rena and Dominic.





Number 1 son, Number 4 son (number 5 child) and Number 2 son along the back row.



















Kids will always gather 'round when it's present opening time.







































it's time for the big family portrait -- gather up everyone !









































We all returned to the scene the following morning for my brother's famous Mickey Mouse waffles... one batch gluten free for those of us who are intolerant :)













Before everyone left .. I snapped these of my sister and two of her daughters with my Dad.



A Gathering to remember for sure.

And unlike Stevie Winwood and Eric Clapton -- I can always find my way home :) ~ as we all know it rests in our hearts.


Now -- back in Vermont.. it's time to don my work harness as usual -- get some spring time chores done, Attack my to do list and get to riding ! There is lease pasture fence to mend... horses to move out to pasture, and don't forget -- the many tasks on the RAC May mini contest to attend to with my new mount Fiona --


Enjoy ~

1 comment:

Nana Ellen said...

Betsy- I so enjoyed your beautiful array of pictures of your wonderful family...I'll be in VT the week of July 11..for Kristin's 40th (OMG) birthday..and will stop and see you for sure. I love your facebook page and looking at your beautiful babies!
Cappy is free-leased to a wonderful, holistic farm just 15 minutes from me...plenty of fresh hay and pasture..Their website is: Faith Like a Mustard Seed Farm...Lucketts, VA...he seems happy there with his "wife", Satin...take care and I miss you, my friend...