Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A Long Awaited Trip


The big day arrives -- Every time we are in South Woodstock at GMHA for a show, I say... we need to get dropped off up here and ride home. This past Sunday we had the opportunity to do just that.

Keri donned her rhythm beads to scare the hunters away (it is hunting season here in Vermont)

We all took a ride in Gabby's truck and trailer - parking at the firehouse around the corner form GMHA show grounds. 














We trot by many beautiful South Woodstock homes and farms.






Back roads make for beautiful scenery. The recent downpour eradicated most of the really colorful leaves - but I love the yellow beech leaves.

I love the old Vermont cemeteries.










Caretaker house on a big horse farm available in case anyone loves the photo's and wants to move here :)






More beautiful sights and fields.



















































Most of this area is tidy and well kept.. love this old derelict shed :)




We follow the stream the entire time -- it's either on our right or left depending on the route.



These are very large oxen... I am glad they did not feel as though they needed to get up and greet us.
















We had dark clouds in the distance.. intermittent rain drops.

















I have mentioned before -- one of my dreams is to ride my horse across every covered bridge in Vermont... here's another one to add to my 'done it' list :)  This is Bests covered Bridge in Brownsville or West Windsor. We traveled through a lot of towns on our winding route south.














Here we ducked into the snowmobile trail. Keri is waiting for Teasel to cross the little bridge.








We ride the trail which follows along the base of the mountain. 





































An old beaver gnawed tree.




We exit the trail out into a beautiful field at the base of Ascutney Mountain. I think this might be called the Ascutney Mountain Basin.











So many times I drive my car along the highway and look across at this Little Ascutney Mountain side and think... I want to ride my horse along there !! and here we are doing just that.





Zoom in on the rocky craggy mountain side.








This tent caused me to look twice !



Snowmobile trail turns into powerline.











We stop to look back at where we have already traveled.
















Somewhat redundant -- but it seemed so pretty at the time I snapped more than one photo.






No more drought in our area !!!  In the last 4 rainstorms, my pond level increased by 2 and a half feet !! A lot of rain in just 4 storms.








We got back out on the roads, pecked our way around and over... Here's the Fuller Farm -- big dairy on both sides of the road. The cows here are quite friendly and wanted to visit with us -- running along the fenceline.





Entering the floodplains -- almost home now.  We are right below Stoughton Pond.














We ride the 'high' trail along the river... our river crossing spot is quite deep -- I know our horses would have crossed.. but who wants to trot home another 10 miles with squishy saddles and clothes ?


The views are exceptional -- I love this trail along the river.























One raindrop






























We come out into the North Springfield reservoir and Dam area.
















From here - we trot briskly homeward through North Springfield and onto the back roads to the farm. 

What a great ride !!  The foliage was not at its peak but still beautiful Vermont countryside and best of all -- riding  with Keri and Teasel is the best :) 

Since I did mention I am going to try to catch up on my posts... there are more fall rides and photo's coming soon. 

Enjoy ~  

No comments: