Saturday, December 6, 2014

Family Traditions, Harnesses and Carts !


This lovely pony mare came back to me from Georgia this past spring -- poor dear arrived during a winter tempest.... I actually had to pull the truck and trailer up my driveway. She has recovered though and is accustomed to Vermont weather for the most part. Niobe has always been a favorite of mine -- we are all pleased to have her back as part of the family.
Here's the  the last post of Niobe right before she left for the south ~

Niobe is a maternal sister to my outstanding driving pony Nimue -- her sire is a black ride and drive registered 14 hand Morgan.  She was sold as a riding pony -- but in the past few weeks I have harnessed her up and trotted her out quite a bit -- she is now an established driving pony -- and every bit the potetial of her sis...


Dominic and I loved trotting out with Miss Nims
 We had many awesome long adventures with this mare -- and I know many followers in the Curly horse community are familiar with her and her exploits out and about the surrounding towns.... picking up pizza, getting the banking done -- and just plain exploring all the back roads of Vermont.





She also had a super show career with quite a few wins













After Nimue was sold -- we did some driving but never to the extent that we did with Nimue.... that has changed !  Niobe has taken to driving as if she has been waiting for someone to throw the harness over her back --- she loves it -- and being in the cart behind her beings back many memories of our treks with Nims.
I tested to see how she would react to a bit of weight and a lot of noise... not much reaction..
 Hitched her to the cart and ground drove her around ... again --
it is as if she was born to drive !


Such a beautiful face -- 



Dominic says he has missed the clip clop sound of a horse in harness... he has grown quite a bit since the days of Nimue -- so I am going to have to purchase a bigger road cart !



 Now I am driving Niobe at least once a week -- and I forgot how much I LOVE it too !! Dominic and I are similar in lots of ways :)








Some family traditions are
meant to be kept alive !!

so Enjoy your traditions and keep them going !




No comments: