Tuesday, January 1, 2008






Today is the first day of 2008 !! Our goal for this year is to ride, ride, ride--- along with the everyday work and chores-- training, etc. My daughter and I have entered Denise Conroy's RAC Contest (Ride a curly) and hopefully will be able to log in plenty of hours and miles on all our curly horses.

Nature has dumped snow upon snow here in Vermont.. 4" one day, 8 " another-- add a foot here and there. It makes for fun riding in the woods-- we can follow the deer trails- as they are already somewhat packed down. Even with the cold-- the woods are warm. We have studied Denise's "extreme winter wear" page on her Curly Horse Country site (http://curlyhorsecountry.com/curlyhorseproducts_reviews.htm) and I think I am going to try the Tuff Rider insulated Over Pants. Riding in the woods, snow gets brushed off the hemlock and pine-- and sometimes gets under my butt in the saddle.. pants are wet... I think these overpants will be the solution.




Here's OYY Wassee.. riding up along the fenceline in the woods across from the farm. I cropped out my horse's ears- I rode my favorite Keri-Orla. Later in the ride- we were both pretty well covered in snow. Here is Wassee, stopping for a pose in the snow.












We had so much fun-- when we returned to the barn, untacked and put those horses away, we grabbed 2 more and went out again. OYY Mercedes experienced her first trail ride and I could tell she really enjoyed herself. Mercedes is out of Green Mountain Dew and Sharon Williams' FFS Sparkling Nugget (registered near leopard appy). She was a driving pony at 2 years old, we sold her and now she is back at the farm.. due to a divorce situation. She is a nice riding mare -- she reminds me of her maternal grand-father Mel's Bathtub Gin, who was a real trail blazer. You can see she is following in his foot steps.. blazing a snow trail of her own.
So I am off to load up my outdoor wood boiler, feed, and wait for the sun to come up so my daughter and I can get out on the trail again for our first RAC entry !!
Happy New Year-- and enjoy the day ~

No comments: