Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Business as usual on the farm~ maintenance of fields and fence, training, farrier visits... I am squeezing in a few rides here and there.
Father's Day I treated myself to a short trail ride on my Keri mare. We schooled ourselves in the big ring for twenty minutes and then headed down the road and onto the trail. Keri was wonderful until we were just about home again and her pasture mates began calling to her. We had to do a few circles on the short distance from home in order to re-focus. Silly girl. We had fun though.


We are still waiting for a good soaking rain. Wet weather is hovering around us but never quite hits my area well. Brooks and ponds are lower than I'd like to see. Farmers are buzzing around making hay like crazy.


OYY Brigitte has made her way back to her birth place. She was sold and I own her again for now. She's a lovely mare and remembers all her training. She is back in training again and works in the ring some and has been taking short jaunts down the road. Nothing spooks her, brave, sensible and steady-- she's going to make someone an excellent riding mount.





Despite my efforts to squelch the buttercups they are thriving... This week I'll hitch up my bush hog and clip them all down I guess. They do look kind of pretty but it's just not what I want spreading throughout the pastures. Here, they are almost as tall as the silly ponies. Here is Pal ( a favorite little POA mare of mine) and OYY My Sharona (another favorite out of Frostfire's Tadpole and a little POA named Sugar).




I call Sharona my mini Friesian.. she has a very similar build and the leg feathering with a huge mane and tail. She's quite sporty and beautiful. I love admiring her !




Today, my daughter and I went for one of our strictly "fun" trail rides. A new trail for a change, new sites. We started out heading up my little mountain road across the street from the farm, along the woods fenceline. Into the big pine wood and the silver disk trail, over past the blueberry bushes and onto the new trail that heads a couple of different ways through some logged off property. We came upon a neat little brook-- full in the early spring-- now just a trickle in most spots-- but look at all the great moss and rocks. At one point the stone wall is built across the brook. It's like a fairy land of sorts.














Keri and I and Zoe and Teasel meander up and down the rocky stream and pass by what Zoe calls "Winnie the Pooh Tree" This is a beech that on top is fully thriving.



Time to head for home--- through deep mud right before we get back out on the road to home.
I always like to stop and take a walk down my little brook with Keri. She loves her brook walk too. Here, the Forget-me-nots are incredible this year. I try to snap a photo of the beautiful wild iris and Keri takes advantage---- tries for a quick snack.
On the way up the driveway, I snapped a nice photo of the 2 boys-- OYY Ivan and OYY Dante, watching us and maybe wishing they could have gotten out for an outing also. It will their turn maybe tomorrow.
Enjoy your day ~

























No comments: