Monday, October 20, 2008

Crispy Clover





We have had some little frostings lately, but Friday morning was the first heavy frost- and a very nippy early morning to feed. I tend to get a tad anxious as winter moves towards us.. wondering if I have enough hay or wood... enough energy to battle the snows.. if they come heavily.







Walking up to load my wood boiler before the sun comes up.. the grass is very crunchy under my feet. Out in the fields- you can see the clover is crispy with ice. I guess I better get my geraniums inside and any other plants I want to save.. hope it's not too late.





I spent the last few weeks discing up sections of pasture and re-planting. I had left those areas open so the horses would - in effect- over graze..making my job easier. The fun part of discing-- is I get to use my beloved 8N.. who has been in the family now since 1979. I love my big Kubota.. but I adore my 8N ! That week I chose to disc and plant was perfect sunny fall weather hovering in the 60's. In one area, I decided I better finish getting out all the larger rocks before spreading out the seed... this is a job for my big tractor.. digging out rock and hauling them off to my big rock pile. It will be easier mowing when these rocks are gone.




I think I'll leave this one right where it is-- Sometimes you just know if you decide to poke at a rock, it's going to be a lot bigger then you think, kind of like an iceberg--- what is submerged can surprise you.




While I am working- my trusty poodles are with me watching.. what great pals they are ~



The best part about planting and seeding, aside from the fact that the horses will benefit from better grazing-- you have something to look forward to come spring. I love watching for that green velvet fuzz coming up. I mixed in some winter rye, so it's going to be green and glorious !



Speaking of something to look forward to-- I am pretty sure the pony mares that were bred by OYY Finnegan are settled. This is more than hay belly going on ! We'll see what arrives in early spring.
Enjoy your day ~

No comments: