Monday, February 16, 2009

The Scent of Spring

February is the month of simultaneous thawing and freezing. The days are longer, the sunrays brilliantly stronger- and even with the numbing temperatures, the snow is melting. All the springs have awakened from their hibernation and water is flowing and freezing all at the same time, creating long glacial rivers of ice. After what seemed like a long slumbering, lumbering stagnation of winter, February is the month that begins the break from dormancy bringing a subtle whiff of spring. The snow on the roofs are melting off, but freezing all at the same time- a kind of stop action moving quietly unfurling energy which is happening everywhere now in the month of February.

Last week, Zoe and I went out for a nice trot. I rode OYY Salvadore ( I call him my Sally Macaroni Pony) for the first time. Zoe took OYY Finnegan. Salvadore is a small pony with the attitude of a big horse and his trot is very forward. My saddle does not fit Salvadore so I rode in Zoe's and she rode in my old dressage saddle. When we were almost back home, we switched mounts so I could try Finn. What a difference ! Finn is quietly forward and easy to just sit and trot-- while Sal is always a controllable bundle of energy. I did take my camera along but while riding/trotting swiftly along- I did not get the chance to snap any photo's. After our switch in mounts- I got my usual photo-- the ears of my mount and the back of Zoe and hers ! This was the first long trot down the road for each of the boys and they were perfect, meeting quite a bit of traffic and another horse and rider.

One of the nicer days I spent with small carpentry jobs in the barn- little things that needed repair. This is a kind of quiet, solitary "zen" task.. that whole "chop wood, carry water" meditative work. This matches my February frame of mind-- it's the essence of awakening, while seemingly doing nothing.

Zoe took Zoe's Day Dream (aka, "Reverie") out on her first highway ride. Reverie was perfect as she always is. Someone is going to just love that mare for a steady mount. Nothing fazes her - as she loves trotting out anywhere with a joyful attitude.

Our Main man- Mead's Chocolate Chip - is back in training. We are going to get him driving this spring. He's going to make an awesome driving horse. We also made the decision to offer him up for sale. Chip has accomplished greatness here on the farm with his offspring and he has certainly proven himself many times over with his many offspring. I created a special "page" on my web site for Chip.. check it out - http://www.vermontel.net/~top/chipfeaturepage.htm

I am proud of Chip's "credentials" as a stud plus he is a wonderful riding mount. He'll make a superlative stallion for another breeder or a fabulous gelding. Big, medium and small -- his offspring are all great horses, and Curly to boot !

Puppy update-- Valentine's Day, the puppies were 2 weeks old. My Number 1 son came over to help me with my wood chores- cutting and splitting (I am saving the pleasure of stacking wood for Number 3 son!) His own Number 1 son and Number 2 son came along for some "puppy training". It's so beneficial to expose the pups to handling- even better when it is kids doing it.







Patrick with a wrinkly female pup on the left. Kyle holds the only reddish male pup -








and the light colored wriggly female pup.











Their Mom holds the quiet sleepy pup.

The puppies have grown amazingly fast- they are developing an adorable little puppy "bark" and beginning to totter around on shaky legs. Their Mom- India- is an outstanding mom.


Enjoy your February awakening and rejoice in the glimmer of spring ! It is coming !!

No comments: