Friday, November 27, 2009

New Roads - new sights

Zoe and I decide to trot a new road.. I have not even driven my car down this road-- so it will be all new scenery and sights. This loop will require that we travel a short stretch of Route 10 - which is a speedily used narrow winding country highway. We'll need our trusty duo Keri and Teasel.




Our voyage begins on familiar back roads, nothing new here-- except -- what's this ?? This is some pretty extensive logging and chipping activity... right at the entrance of one of favorite and long time trails. I have to stop to discuss this with the loggers... they assure me that the trail will be left intact. Well, you can sure I will be keeping tabs on that !! I am planning in my head- first Sunday-- I'll just saunter in there in a stealthy manner on horseback and scope their work.






We trot down into North Springfield - here's the little Main Street market at the intersection.










And as Willie Nelson would sing - We're back on the sidewalks again :)


























I got a big kick out of the clip clop on the long wooden bridge. :)











We cross over the highway onto Baltimore Road -


On the corner is New House - Old House.






I am always sad to see old houses fall into disrepair.








Well dressed "T" blends right in with the leaf littered roadside. He's stylin ' And these two trotted and cantered side by side nearly the entire trek.










A big herd of chickens... they are safe this holiday ! Also along the road- is a pig pen and I notice the electric fence is only a few inches from ground level. I know this is supposed to be enough for pigs-- but I am not liking it so much... I have seen pigs fly before :)




The views on Baltimore Road are beautiful despite the overcast skies. Lots of hayfields.











This vista reminds me of where the Flat Earth Myth was derived. I can totally relate to the ancient mariners fearing the big drop off the end of the world... Thank goodness for gravity which keeps us on the circle of this horizon.






Here's the main objective of the ride out today --

Gould Road ! A typical country road- seemingly on top of the world lined with those old maples so common in Vermont.


We have nice views from here - and I don't hesitate to over photograph it all :)

































































Gould Road turns to a narrow dirt road as it begins to drop into the forested valley.














I love this apple tree pruned into a triangle.










Mailbox.














Here's the reason for the notoriety of Gould Road in town. Frank Gould's museum.. which features his primitive styled art, old farm machinery and implements, engines, vintage washing machines and other old-timey 'stuff' .



These fellows are cute - I told Zoe.. watch out-- now that I have seen this, if I get industrious - it could be everyone on my Christmas list will receive a Green Mountain Tin Man as a gift. But I never seem to eat anything out of a can - so I don't have time to save any up. Look at his adorable sardine can feet.







This fellow on the milk can could be one of the Green Mountain Boys which formed Vermont's militia in the 1700's.











Gould Road exits out onto Route 10-- this is the widest section..not too bad here but later as it narrows, I am glad I have a mount I can mostly depend on.










We turn up Davidson Hill Road and decide to brave a short trail through woods and old meadow to cut over to Mineral Springs Road. We'll be in the woods only about 10 minutes and it is posted.. so we take a chance with the hunters.























Once we are on Massey Road- it's trot and canter home... stopping for a minute for my last photo of the day. I have passed this rock a zillion times since I moved to Vermont- never took a picture before this trip ! When I first moved here - these rocks were almost touching. Weather - with alternate freezing and thawing- has cleaved the rock further apart each year.



We had an awesome ride --


Hoping everyone's Thanksgiving was full of joy !

No comments: