Thursday, December 10, 2009

Stone Village- seeking Christmas

I could title this post-- what I was doing when I should have been preparing for our BIG snow storm... certainly there was enough chatter about the impending storm and schools were ready to close before the snow arrived.. I was not that anxious to lose my bare ground-- but at some point I guess winter was bound to actually happen. But Jeezum crow.. is this really fair ? For the first storm to dump so much at once so suddenly ? What an extreme change - early morning it began to snow, the wind picked up and by the time I went outside to start chores and commence moving snow.. we had a full blown snowstorm. Driving the tractor, I needed goggles.. the flakes were slicing into my eyeballs. Just a short whining session -- I had to dig out a few projects left out, like the lumber and sawhorses where I was cutting some interior kickboards for one of the sheds... I had never gotten around to moving the big york rake... I had never unearthed the snow shovels from storage.

But -- I could have been taking care of all this on Tuesday, day before the storm.... instead - Zoe and I went off for a trot down Trebo Road, through Stone Village and back home over Flamstead Road. We were looking for some Christmas cheer -- which seems to be rare commodity this year.
Instead of turning left here - as we do often, we continue straight down Trebo Road.






This day is cold and raw with the portent of storm.. I thought I was adequately bundled, but due to the icy roads and slow going.. we both were chilly.


For some reason Keri and Teasel love to travel VERY close to each other. often our stirrups are clanging while we trot and canter.. today- the middle of the road was icy and slick even with Keri's studded shoes. We had to walk and sometimes trot single file on the side where there is more traction. The horses were grumpy about that.



We finally reach the end - and turn onto Route 103. The horses were so happy to be away from the ice, they were prancing to go fast... but -- hello-- lots of speeding vehicles guys !!


















Once we got into stone village and onto the sidewalk - we were a bit disappointed... not much for Christmas decorations.










Here's the little old one room schoolhouse - now is this just begging for a red ribbon or some garland ??













And just a few miles down the road - here's the trees and garland for sale.







Surely something holiday-ish in the gift shop.







Time to head home -- just down here, we'll turn onto Flamstead for a good canter up the big hill.






This is pre-storm.. only a few inches of snow. I saw a baby moose play in this far pond one day - stopped and watched him with binoculars.. wee moose are quite homely !





I spotted this oddity - we are looking for anything within the realm of Christmas decorations - and spy this on a post.. an Easter Egg ??? on the end of a tooth pick-- I am confused, but perhaps a tradition that I have never heard of yet. If anyone can clue me in on this - e-mail me :)










This looked to me like a real dyed egg.







Back on my road -- we are cold and hungry !!


After this trip absent of the decorations we seek -- we have planned another trot out after dark to find lights and Christmas bling !! Stay tuned for that --




Enjoy ~

No comments: