Friday, July 13, 2007



A typical Friday spent "putzing"... little things here and there. Visit the horses that are out on pasture-- raking the arena-- some enjoyable gardening. Tomorrow, plans for a nice long trail ride. I broke one of my personal rules and took a trip to the tack store a few days ago. I needed those elastics for my safety stirrups- and if any of you out there are anything like I am-- I came home with more than a few dollars worth of safety stirrup elastics. Well- there were some deals too good to pass up. I bought a beautiful new bridle for my special mare- Keri-Orla. She needed a new bridle and certainly deserves it. Some nice padded saddle pads for under my dressage saddle... just a few other items.




During this week, quite a few of the horses in training got out on the trail-- nice break from ring work. OYY Nimue, a gorgeous bay curly pony mare sired by a spectacular paint sporthorse, gets out on the trail at least once a week and is worked very lightly in the ring once a week. Last year she spent the whole summer driving.. a what an amazing cart pony she is. Never a spook and very fluid in the ring- serpentines, circles like a champ. She has taken to her saddle work like she knew exactly what her job was. To get to most of our trails, we ride on dirt road about a mile-- then we have our choice of many different trails with varied terrain. Plenty of mud and brush, a few steep downhills and a couple of brook crossings. Naturally I think she's a very special horse.




OYY TigerHawk is also pleasing me with his willingness and quiet attitude with his work. He is doing very well in his ring work and loves the trail. He's going to be just as nice as his half brother- OYY Raphael. He's also a pony sized gelding. At 3 he's 13.2 hh. A handsome capable boy.




My daughter and her husband and family just bought a new home with 10 acres. She has wanted to bring a horse home with her for years and now her dream has come true. Her house is only a few minutes by car-- about 10 minutes by trail, a quick trot over the mountain. She brought Teasel Obi to her house- and they have had tremendous fun exploring in the evenings. Teasel is getting far more exercise than he would have here at the farm-- with so many to work with. Also he is exposed to so much... riding at night, on the highway, through logged off land which is rough. He is such a super Curly I can't even express how much we love him. We bought Teasel and his dam Camille from Erica Frei. Camille was purchased with the therapeutic program in mind. She has exceeded our expectations with her wonderful sweet nature-- a kinder mare you could not find anywhere. I love riding her because she is so careful with her rider-- forward and incredibly safe. Teasel is the same.. just more forward than his Mom. I have to say-- it's a controversial subject among Curly breeders-- but both these horse are nearly naked and apparently Erica had trouble marketing either of them. Lucky for us because we were able to purchase them-- they are well conformed and have such superb attitudes.. who cares about a lack of mane and tail? I don't ride the mane or tail.. I ride the horse. And these 2 are the best !! After one more week, my daughter Zoe will exchange Teasel for another horse from the farm so he or she can have the extra riding miles.




While some of the horses are out to pasture, a few of my smaller fields are empty. I have spread manure, disk harrowed and planted them all. Pulled a few of our big Vermont rocks out while I was at it. I planted an equine pasture mix (no fescue) and mixed it with oats. The oats come up big and fast- so it's instant gratification-- a few nice rains, add some sun- and one day you wake up- the fields are green and lush. Makes the work worth it when you get to see results so soon. The other fields are mostly fenced and cross fenced for rotation. Open one gate- close another.. gives me a chance to clip weeds, spread more manure (there's never a dearth of that) and fertilize. Saves on hay and keeps the horses very happy.
For those of you who would like to read a bit more about the farm.. you can visit the "about us" link on my web site :
Enjoy the day !!

No comments: