Monday, September 15, 2008

Good news - Bad news -and in between


This past few days we have had a recurring visit from Hurricane Ike- first rain, now wind. Hurricanes rarely hit with any enthusiasm here in Vermont, so there are no real concerns and it gave us time to tidy up the tack room and clean house a bit. This morning's moon is beautiful with clouds low on the horizon. It's not cold, but windy enough that I have to close the windows. As long as there are no trees downed on the fence, I am OK with it.


It's been chilly enough to fire up my outdoor wood boiler. I had to shut it down in July because it got too darn hot- there was not enough call for heat to keep the fire going. I am not so crazy for the extra chore, but love not burning any expensive heating oil. The first fire of the season is fun though- love the smell of wood burning.. however come February-- that's another story !




During the week, Zoe's Day Dream was backed-- bareback. As I mentioned before-- she is so calm and accepting, it will not be long and she will be down the road and on the trail. She'll be needing her very own bridle soon !








OYY Hummingbird continues with her ground training. She is wearing her little harness and loving her training sessions. Here she is as a little tyke with Mom. She's growing up and is quite proud of herself.









I finally posted the video of Mead's Chocolate Chip at his first show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4aYdLg3y50


Also got some footage of Elektra being schooled by her rider, Jennie - 15 years old- and in love with her mount ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPCg1Ng2cjg










The big news for the weekend is-- OYY Yemaya left for her new home. Her owner is in love and Yemaya loaded beautifully.... and is already settled in there. When you sell a horse you have spent time with-- it's a toss up... thrilled that the horse has a new wonderful home and a rider-- and a little miffed that the horse does not seem to miss you at all ! Yemaya is 8 years old-- so she and Laurie have the best years ahead of them now.



We have been stocking up on hay-- living on a farm, you must be an ant and not the grasshopper. Already 2 loads from Canada- which comes in big square bales, 4 feet by 8 and so handy because I can unload and stack them in the building with the tractor. Each bale weighs about 850 and there are usually 55 bales or so on a trailer load.





All my new seedings are coming up perfectly... fenced off until next year. I am hoping to spread some more lime and fertilizer this fall.. depending on weather and time. I did get some rocks picked when I disced over some of the newly planted areas-- The larger rocks I dug out, will go on a future retaining wall-- these will go to fill in a low area by the brook.
The disappointing news of the week is-- my little "hen" Peep started to crow !! So now it seems I have 2 roosters. I will have to watch the classifieds for a few Banty hens for my boys.
Enjoy your day ~

No comments: