Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Spring time list making

Every morning, with my coffee, I make up a list of projects and things to do. Even after all these years- each day, as I add to the daily docket - I still believe I am going to accomplish most of what I outline for my day. Outlandishly wishful thinking- as I am lucky to get one or two items ticked off. I work hard all day and come in to check the blueprint of the day sometimes to discover-- I got a lot done-- but alas, much of what I did was not even on the list ! So-- I add those tasks just so I can check them off. I like to see at least something scratched off the assignment tally. I am addicted to list making- but it's definitely a love hate relationship.


We had an unusually very early warm spell that sent many people off to the local nurseries to plant their gardens. In my lifetime, I have experienced snow on my birthday and later at least 3 or four times, so here in Vermont, I always wait till the last weekend in May to do any serious planting. It's not exactly number one priority item on the "list" since on a farm there are many more pressing needs than having flower boxes and tubs .. but an aesthetic necessity for me. I was anxious to fill the dreary empty spots with color. Saturday, I made the trip to purchase flats of cheery petunias and brilliant jaunty impatiens, along with a few more colorful choices for the window boxes on the barn and the tubs and pots that dot the farm. Well, Sunday I woke up to a pretty frosty landscape and some pretty frosty squishy flowers. I am not sure if they will bounce back from the ordeal of the deep freeze. I'll give them a few days to see-- but I may have to replace most of the plantings-- bummer !




I planted this Hawthorne tree last spring - up by the pond. And the Wild Flag is just starting to come into bloom. In a week, this wild iris will be blooming a purple carpet.






This past week, much of my time has been tending to pastures, trimming fenceline, and rotating horses around to new grazing. The grass is doing great and I already need to get the mower out to clip pasture. Seems early for that -- It's on the list !


Not much for riding this past week, although Zoe continues to school Elektra and Chip for their shows coming up soon.




Seems I have some squatters on the farm-- a pair of Canada geese have moved in. I will get a few each year that stop in for a brief visit and leave-- but these two have settled in. Normally, I don't like geese hanging around too long as they tend to be messy but I enjoy watching these two. As long as they don't send out invitations or host an open house for their friends I guess I'll let them stay as long as they choose. Mostly they glide very regally around the pasture and graze.. I haven't seen them in the pond much. And I don't see that they have any kind of nest anywhere. Since male and female Canada geese are identical in plumage, I am not even sure they are mates or perhaps two lonely bachelors hanging out together. I guess I'll find out one morning if they appear suddenly with their queue of goslings.




My number 5 son (Number 6 child- and the youngest) is still in high school. He attended the prom on Saturday night and I took a few photo's as the group was waiting for their limo to pick them up. He's the young man (child/half man ?? ) in the middle - My last little fledgling with one wing out of the nest, almost ready to fly. Quite a leap in passing time - from onesies to tuxedo !




Off to tackle another list - Enjoy your day ~

No comments: