Saturday, November 21, 2009

Winter nesting






After the big autumn time change, I always feel the urge to eat more and nest more. It's our ancient DNA messaging system telling us to prepare for the long winter I guess. A couple of years back - I was browsing in a very large equine supply store.. more than just a tack store, LOTS of merchandise.. I ended up purchasing a nice down filled parka for my winter riding. I have come to adore that coat -- I call it my nest. A few weeks ago-- my nest came out and I hunker down into it for chores and for those chillier riding/driving days. Just like these silly pot bellied pigs.. short days and the changing, weaker angle of the sun - all contribute to my inclination to arrange my own ways to stay warm and toasty.




On the days that I am busier, my afternoon chores are done in fall twighlight. Funny thing about these pre-winter days - once the sun is behind the tree line.. there is not much lingering light- it turns dark quickly.





This tricks me somedays.. still even now- adjusting to the difference in time and light. I get caught having to use my tractor headlights to finish up.






A week ago- I spooked up an owl with the tractor as I headed down the driveway. He landed up in this tree and sat there with his back to me for quite awhile- and was still there on my return..















There's one advantage to early darkness.. you get to see the world in different eyes, meeting new residents of the surroundings that are normally hidden during the day.


I am one that is completely addicted to season changes.. I am not sure if I could live without it. Mind you- I have never had to attempt it.. maybe I am stubbornly keeping blinders on about it.. but just when I am tired of the scenery, the weather -- I am rewarded with a change in season. It kind of keeps me more appreciative -- when I am so cold and weary of snow and darkness .. spring comes and reminds me I can be light and warm... when I have had enough of hot, long fatiguing days.. fall arrives and brings new days, new sensations. Season changing really agrees with me. :)




All done with chores for the day - the stove filled for the night... my house will be warm and cozy--time to retire to my own personal nest.
Now-- I know I will be whining at some point about snow, cold, biting wind -- but then.. it will be time for another change.
Enjoy ~

No comments: