Friday, March 19, 2010

Changes, equal nights, spring sights


This spring I am having a difficult time with the current time change. I remain outdoors too long in the afternoons.. the sun is still out and it's so warm by then... I lay in bed too long in the mornings - it's dark and a bit chilly -- encouraging a longer, deeper snuggle. It's been almost a week now and I still have not acclimated to spring hours.





The March winds have arrived - but the sun is strong, even when we don't feel it so much. Every day more snow melts and I am surrounded by the sound of roaring brooks and streams full to the brim with the vanishing snow. Two days ago, we were in the height of mud season - but the strong winds help to dry the earth. I put the large York rake on the big tractor, so every time I feed, I also rake. Turning the roadways and lanes twice a day to dry more. In some spots it is working well... while others - well, the mud is still pretty deep. I have always been quite fascinated by water and spring is all about water (and mud) here in Vermont, as the snows melt.


You know spring has arrived when the pigs leave their cozy nest to start grubbing up the lawn. They hibernate all winter ... lose lots of weight - they don't like the snow much. Once they get out and nosing up the dirt- they gain fat back rapidly. Their strong noses turn my entire lawn over - I kind of hate it.. but I like the pigs .. when summer arrives, they don't stay on the lawn so much. I rake it out but it still remains rather bumpy when I mow the grass.














The once ice-bound brook is now pushing its shoreline boundaries.








Only a month ago, even in areas hit by sun -- all our moving water froze as it flowed..



















I love the suspended waterflow.. but then the temperatures warm up and it amazes me the intensity of spring waterflow.
























This is an area of constant water flowing - so to pass we built a sort of stone culvert/bridge to cross without making so much mud. Sometimes after a heavy snow - the bridge is obscured and I get a little nervous crossing it with the hay -- it's just wide enough for the tractor and I can't go much either way on the sides without falling off :)


Along with water flowing and falling, there is also sap - a true water of life - dripping into the buckets. As the sun hits the trees, the sap energizes up from the roots detoured into the buckets by the spouts.







The spring water that flows into my goldfish pond- suspended in frozen time. Every now and again. we'd catch a glimpse of orange and red under the ice ...







Now that the days are here of sun and thaw... I see the fish just basking in sunlight and their little pond is liquid water again. They survived the deep freeze once again.







The duck pair is back from where ever they go in winter.







Their favorite little pond is completely thawed - but my larger upper pond is still covered in ice. Maybe that has something to do with the depth of the ponds - deeper ponds stay frozen longer ?




I have not heard the killdeer or phoebe yet.. perhaps it's a bit early. Once we hear the phoebe trill... the sap run is over. Last Wednesday I was out in the cart on a lovely drive and spotted my first Mourning Cloak of the season.. out of hibernation with mating on his mind.












One of my favorite sights from horseback - winter and fall.... I'll have to ride over and get a photo in spring :)






A few months ago - the last chore of the day was loading the stove... done in half dark at 4:00 in the afternoon. This was a season for hunkering in early and seeking artificial warmth and light. One evening I snapped this photo of my little 8N - and it seemed to me even she was nested in for the night



The old girl is probably thinking - turn off the lights and let me sleep !
Those short days are over now ... The weather and the workload are in for big changes now :) We made it through another winter ....
Enjoy ~

No comments: