Thursday, March 11, 2010

Destination - Hawk's Mountain again !


This hump is our intended destination of the day - another trip up Hawk's Mountain. It's the perfect day for it -- warm weather, fairly dry and we have (hopefully) enough time to complete the objective. :) You might notice what struck me right away - the white line along the ridge that makes the mountain appear like it has a spine.





I did not bother to take any photo's of the first 8 or 10 miles of the journey.. but right about here, we begin all new trail -- we cross many snowmobile bridges along the way-- here we have to cross Route 10 just ahead - to get on the new snowmobile route to the mountain top.







From this point on for quite awhile it's all new virgin territory for us !






Lots of bridges to cross along the way.








In and out of bare melted ground - deep snow in spots -- and lots of ice.



















Nice big open spot for a big canter :)


























Hawk's mountain is still in our sights - but a distance away.









Take a right into the woods -








where we find more mud and lots more ice.







Right past this spot, Zoe and I had to do what we NEVER do on a trail ride out -- the ice was so slick and we arrived at a section of the trail where there was no way to stay on the side -- with very steep down hill --- we had to dismount and lead our horses carefully for about 200 feet.





Back in the saddle and more bridge crossings.













Back to a nice open space for some fast traveling.









Finally after a long trek -- we are on the trail that leads up the mountain.


















I repeated this photo because it's so pretty and a perfect illustration of the day, the trip and the FUN we are having !!








About half way up- a break in the trees affords us a nice view.






You can see the trail ahead -




















Further up, we find narrow icy trails and steep sides.







I am rubbernecking like crazy -- the last time we were up here, we still had foliage so the view out was so completely different than today.










Yikes - Zoe gets a phone call and she's just chatting away while on the edge... but I guess I am just as bad with my camera snapping :)




































I love the mini glaciers dripping in frozen motion down the ledge.








We reach the top and of course as usual I take too many photo's -- the sun is so bright up here, it is blinding my camera I think. These windtowers (look carefully) are VERY far away in (I think ) Unity New Hampshire.




At the bottom of the page I actually uploaded a short video scan of the view because it's so pretty. The sun and brilliant snow is bright up here - and even my horse is blinking her eyes and squinting.
























































































Time to head back down the mountain - I look back to see where we were.

































Reaching the bottom - we trot home on Baltimore Road.. this sugar house is hard at work.. with fragant smoke and steam rising.






We pass the Baltimore Town Hall - which I love -so snapped more than one photo.

































Hay field in winter







Long road out to a far away corn field.












Muddy roads in Chester.















We are now about 8 miles from home still- we've been in the saddle a long time today -- but what a superb ride. Here's that hump again from this perspective -- Hawk's Mountain.




Quick little video of Keri and Teasel traveling together.



Live view -- my camera needs a big cleaning !!


Enjoy ~

2 comments:

Susan Lejonhud said...

I very much enjoyed the longer version and ALL your pictures. Really feels like I was there with you, in a way. Thank you!!!!

chris brunnquell said...

Hello, I'm visiting near Hawk's mountain and would like to get to these trails. Where are the entrances and roughly what was your course?