Sunday, November 18, 2007



Many people have asked me why I have chosen to use the letters OYY as my breeding prefix on all my horses. For the years that I have been breeding curly horses, I have always thought to have a prefix-- mainly so that the horses that are registered would fall together in the stud books and be easy to track. I could never decide what to use, especially since the registries only allow you so many letters in a registered name. Well, at the risk of becoming overly philosophical in my ramblings.. the mystery will now be revealed !! :)




I have 10 delightful grand-children and not really wanting to be called a "grand-mother" I decided they could all call me "Ya-Ya"-- which is greek (going with my heritage) for grand-mother. However, the word Ya-Ya goes deeper than just another word for Grand-mother.




The journey to wisdom is much like a flower in bloom, its beauty changing and evolving through the unfolding of each petal. The full bloom of womanhood, in all of its strength and power, is referred to as "Yaya" in at least two ancient cultures and traditions. In ancient Greek, "Yaya" simply meant "woman." Today, Greek grandmothers are called "Yaya," likely because they have achieved womanhood. In an Afro-Caribbean religious sect, found mostly in Brazil and the Congo, the word "Yaya" refers to a woman who has gone through a religious initiation. It means "Mother" or "Mama Priestess." In both cultural traditions, the word "Yaya" represents the highest form of woman, achieved only through initiation, experience and longevity. It represents the journey to womanhood. And as I am sure-- like all other of us female "baby-boomers" - we do not revel in getting older.. but must appreciate the richness which comes to us as we reach our age of "blooming". It certainly is a kind of bittersweet celebration.


There is a word from the language of Yoruba, a large ethnic nation in Africa whose dialect is also called Yoruba, -- Oyaya (pronounced Oh-ya-ya). It is a noun-- the meaning of which is -- A feeling of great pleasure or happiness or JOY; the expression of such feeling ; a source of pleasure or satisfaction. What a perfect word for my endeavor of breeding Curlies and navigating through life. Very fitting that I am a Ya-Ya, and that I feel that JOY.


Of course one can feel happiness and not neccesarily feel joy.. To me-- they are two different and distinct emotions. Happiness is seemingly dependent upon favorable conditions and situations, while JOY is happiness permanently captured. To me, there is only one real goal in life-- and that is to be JOYOUS and have joy in everything that I do. In simpler more plain-spoken terms-- I always say.. if you are not having fun, what's the point?


My life is filled with joy, I celebrate every day living with genuine joy. I appreciate the sweetness of choosing to be happy, attracting miracles daily- smiling warms my heart and I delight in laughing out loud and watching my Dreams come true.
A few of my favorite "joyous" quotes --
"Joy is the feeling of grinning inside"
"Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy " (Thich Nhat Hanh)
Or in the infamous words of Lewis Carroll -- "O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!' He chortled in his joy."
When I sign off every day on my blog with the words "enjoy the day" this is my message and wish for all of you who visit here.
Enjoy the day ~~ May it truly be frabjous ~~

No comments: