Wednesday, December 19, 2007



The latest news from Top O' The Hill Farm is snow and more snow. It's been several years since we have had appreciable snow at this time of year. The last few years in Vermont, the ground has been bare until February or even March, which is far from the norm-- when in the past, snow starts on Halloween and keeps up until spring (when we have the opportunity to enjoy Vermont's fifth season-- MUD).

This most recent storm dumped quite a bit of powdery snow on the farm over the weekend. Sunday late in the afternoon I went out and moved some of it. Early Monday morning, back out to finish up. Because we have riders coming for lessons, many of them handicapped-- I have to do a better job than I usually would, clearing away parking space and the short road up to the riding arena. I have a super snow blower which runs off the PTO of the tractor-- that makes my job a LOT easier and faster. But what I dislike the most of course is the hand work that is necessary after most of the big stuff is cleared away. Shoveling the gates out so they open both ways is almost the worst of it-- shoveling roofs is at the top of the list for my "I HATE to do this job" !! Some times the sun comes out and all the snow slides off (leaving big piles of snow which will freeze into place in front of doorways if you don't move them immediately)-- other times.. depending on the type of snowfall and the temperatures, the snow gets a crust of ice which adheres the thick blanket of snow to the metal roof. It has to be shoveled off. You do get a glorious view from atop a roof however-- and it does burn calories.

Last week, OYY Rosalee left with her new owners to Floralake Curlies in Canada. Florence and Oscar Martin chose Rosalee to start up their pony breeding program. Rosalee is out of Biscuit, a wonderful extreme pony with great curly bloodlines and my cremello stallion, Classic Dreams Cherokee Storm. Biscuit, so far, has given me all curly fillies. She has been outcrossed twice, once with a fabulous sport pony and once with a beautiful black Morgan pony sized stud. Each of these curly fillies are still here on the farm and doing great with their training. Rosalee is a yearling palomino with a friendly eager disposition. If she's anything like her sisters, she'll be easy to train and it will fun to see her offspring when the time arrives for that. This photo is of Rosalee in October- I wish I had gotten one of her as she left for Canada.




The horses are getting their work out in the ring and on the trail.. figuring out their balance and way of going through deep snow. It's warm in the woods and really makes an enjoyable ride. OYY Cosette, a 2 year old out of Anniva M and Lynn Downer's WCC Benjamin, is being ground driven and I can tell she is looking forward to being ridden. I can't wait either-- she is a really super little horse and I know she's going to be awesome to ride. While I did get quite a few smooth coats from Benjamin-- I can't complain one iota about the quality of his offspring. All the horses born from him are approaching 3 years old now, so we are excited about getting them all under saddle. All of his have great style and super legs and feet-- intelligent and easy to get along with. Here's Cosette coming up the driveway after working around obstacles down in the big arena.
Yesterday, my outdoor wood boiler was FINALLY hooked up. It's zero degrees outside, and the house is snug and cozy-- so far.. so good. All the hot water and heat I want and no oil to buy. I have plenty of wood- as I am always cleaning out fencerows and clearing more land. My eventual plan is to have heat in the tack room, office, workshop and maybe even a waiting room for the parents/caregivers of our riders during lesson time. Next year !! I had the underground insulated pipe laid to the barn as well as the house.. so it's ready. I am still ruminating on some kind of idea to stay warm holding horses while the farrier is here. That's a cold and boring chore-- I think I'd rather shovel a roof.
enjoy the day ~

No comments: