Tuesday, December 25, 2007






Well, it is Christmas day today. A few more days and it will be another year behind us. I was cleaning yesterday and found an old "wish list". Usually, when I wake up, I get a cup of coffee and make lists for the day-- everything that needs to be done, and everything that I want to do (sometimes my goals are one in the same, mostly they clash). One morning I must have made this list of long term wishes and goals. I think the list is 5 or 6 years old. As one day blends into another-- and so it goes with weeks and months, then years--- I forget to take stock in my accomplishments. I am happy to say--- I can check every "wish" off on that list.. amazing !!! The things we can achieve without ever actually noticing until we sit down and look back with a list to remind us.

This morning I woke up thinking I may go for a ride-- but, here's where my needs and have-to's collide. On top of all our beautiful winter snow, it rained for a day and night.. we still have plenty of snow, but the ditch along side my driveway is packed with heavy compressed hard snow banks.. so that the water from my little spring is running out onto the driveway and freezing into rivers of ice. Technically-- this is not my job as my driveway is a town road (how handy is that?) But I know the town crew will never attend to it-- so I must dig out the snow and get the water flowing in the right places. I have quite a few springs on my land. I often joke with people -- this is why they call my town Springfield, because there is a spring in every field. I am not sure where this actual spring is, but there is an old lead pipe-- which as far as I can tell from finding pieces of that lead pipe when I had ditches dug for various improvements-- that spring fed the barnyard in several locations. It started out as an eternal wet muddy spot which has over the years evolved into a 2 tiered gold fish pond with a small waterfall. Here is what it looks like now, in the summer. When the water lilies are in bloom it is very beautiful.




My grand-son, Patrick, is working a badge for cub scouts-- he has to learn about horses. He has been coming on Saturdays to get acquainted with leading, grooming, how to put on a halter, how to tack up etc. Now he is up to riding the horse. Here he is on my horse Keri-Orla, navigating around cones in the indoor. He is planning to trade work around the farm for payment for the lessons. He's an excellent worker and at first he was looking forward to helping pick up poop more than he was the riding. He might have changed his priorities now, he enjoys the riding.




I received an e-mail from the couple who purchased Teena's Avis Jane a few weeks back-- they report she settled into her new surroundings like she belonged there.. which is great to hear.
They are riding her with a bitless bridle and a treeless western saddle, lots of tack changes for Avis.. she and Shelley's husband are doing great and having fun. Shelley rides Avis's son, The Sojourner.
I also heard from the family who chose OYY TigerHawk-- in TN. They have not sent photo's yet but apparently their son is enjoying Tiger and no hives !!
Last week, I started riding OYY Nimue-- no photo's of that, because I am always the one behind the camera. She is such an awesome little mare... forward and unbelievably comfortable at the trot. Someone missed out on an outstanding horse-- because I don't think I will part with her now !! She's the perfect size for me-- I have come to love the smaller horses... and she moves incredibly. I have 2 saddles-- one , a wintec Isabella dressage, one a wintec 2000 I think it is. Both with changeable gullets. I had to change the gullet for Nimue... and even though the wintec company claims this is an easy job-- it is more like wrestling a weanling greased pig. When the saddle fits the horse perfectly.. and you settle your butt into the seat and feel like -- AHHHH !! this feels so good---- everything seems right with the universe !
Enjoy the day-- and I hope all your wish lists come to fruition for you too !!

No comments: