Monday, January 21, 2008

It is a beautiful crisp cold morning. The moon is almost full-- bringing with it colder temperatures. I am so glad to have those tank heaters. In the last few weeks, we installed 2 automatic waterers. Always fresh water.. and heated. These are such handy gadgets.. I plan on replacing all my tubs with these automatic waterers over time. I believe they will be less costly to run too.. since the amount of water to heat is less.. about a gallon or so instead of 150 gallons or more of water. No problem with the horses learning to drink from them either. Nothing better than being able to make improvements that make my life easier -- and the horses are happier too.


The other day, my daughter rode WR Winter Dancer down in the big arena. She is a lovely mare who is mainly a lesson horse. We like to give the lesson horses a "break" from their lesson by riding them outside the indoor out on the trail or in the outdoor arena.. working them in a way they don't get a chance to in their lessons. I also shot a very short video of her "dancing" in winter. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L_UM2HX2P4
Dancer is on the sales list even though we do use her in most of the lessons. We have lots of other horses to use.. so if she does sell-- there are other lesson mounts ready and able to take her place in the program.
I went walking the woods yesterday, marking trees to be cut-- all part of the plan in improving the property and also getting more firewood. Because we have had so many thaws and freezes in between the snowfalls, for the most part-- I can walk on top of the snow. You forget how deep the snow is until you hit a spot where suddenly you are hip deep in a hole. I have noticed in my walks and horseback rides through the property, there is a lot of running water this year. The brooks are very full and the springs are running like crazy. I suppose because we had fairly early snowfall, the ground is not that frozen.. only a few inches. I think that means we will have an easy mud season. This of course is good news.
It's still dark out- but the sky is clear so if the sun is shining enough today-- I am going to start pruning the old apple trees. This is the time to attend that chore. That will keep my mind off the mares that are due to foal soon... waiting on a foal can be frustrating.. nothing will hurry the process -- like watching the pot that never boils... so keeping busy with something else will help.
Enjoy your day ~

No comments: