Saturday, January 12, 2008



Yesterday was rain nearly all day- we still have plenty of snow but LOTS of ice as well now. Up early to sand the barnyard and the area around the indoor for the lesson riders today. Probably no time to ride today.




I mentioned OYY Cosette and her first time under saddle in my previous post. I shot a short video of her first ride in the indoor which you can view here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZMkqwVc_To She is young to be under saddle but she was so ready. We'll just keep it slow and steady.. maybe once a week for a short time... just some bending and walking. Cosette is a very sweet tempered little mare and I know she is going to be a super riding horse when she is older.




During the week, we worked OYY Buster Brown in the indoor in harness ground driving. This fellow is smart and he is just about ready to be hitched to the cart. Of course, he has a strong genetic pre-disposition for driving- which makes it all that much easier. He's a coming 2 year old out of Sudie Bee and Mead's Chocolate Chip.





My Keri Luna is a lovely 14.1 hand mare who is not pictured on the web site as she is always going to live here with me. Because she is not for sale, she does not get the consistent training that the sales horses receive. She's a wonderfully comfortable very willing safe riding horse.. and pretty amazing considering the little bit of training she has experienced. This is her first time under saddle since last summer. Luna is out of my riding horse Keri -Orla and Mead's Chocolate Chip. I got just what I wanted.. as a replacement for her Mom as Keri is aging. As Keri was getting closer to her foaling out.. I was naturally hovering over her, anxiously waiting. I put her out during the day-- back in the barn at night. Keri was leaking milk.. and a foal was imminently close. I guess it was like a watched pot that won't boil. One day I went out to put her in the barn for the night and I said to her-- maybe I won't put you back in the stall since you are not co-operating... but I did anyway as she seemed a little agitated. Well-- I put her in the stall, she circled three times, laid down and whooosh-- out came Luna !!! I like to think Keri was waiting all day for me ( I was gone from the farm for most of the day on errands) so I felt honored of course.. is it possible she loves me ?? :) Keri is a great horse and lots of fun to ride... but she does not show her feelings, so there are many times I wonder if-- even though I love her-- does she love me back ? Well, this makes Luna all the more special to me. Silly the way we are with our horses sometimes!!
I am off to load the outdoor boiler this morning and get chores done before our first lesson at 8:00.
Enjoy your day ~

No comments: