Friday, March 14, 2008

Yesterday, I was excited -- I pulled on my work pants and said to myself-- wow -- all this riding and working, I think I feel thinner. Then I remembered -- this is the first day since last fall that I have gone without the usual winter long underwear... less bulk clothes-wise... same bulk on the body-- DANG !! Oh well, at least it's warmer weather for the most part.




It's been a pretty busy couple of weeks. Due to the deep snow I had to spend a few days adding a top strand of fence to ALL the fence.. how many miles is that ?? Add to the stretching wire, there was some chest deep snow to trudge through. I also built some new fence... too many teasing mares testing the stallions' respect for electric fence.










My faithful partner, India, follows me everywhere I go. She's a standard poodle.





A few weeks back, friends from New Hampshire came for a visit-- Helyn Ray and daughter Sarah. Daughter Sam is in college so couldn't make the trek. Sam purchased a filly (OYY Lickity Split, out of Frostfire's Tadpole and Zoe's Day Dream) who she has raised and trained. Sarah owns Lejonhud Daffodil, who was born here. She came back with her Mom to see the new foals and to ride Daffodil's colt- OYY Wassee - just for fun.
















One afternoon, I was watching OYY Hendrix, born last November, interact with his field mates.. who are (aside from his Mom, Zoe's Day Dream) 2 older bred mares-- OYY Dream A Little Dream and OYY RedBird. They play and run and "box" like a couple of foals.. but every now and again-- Hendrix gets a cranky nip or that "LOOK" only a mare can give-- it occurred to me that foals like Hendrix born out of season and end up being raised with other mares as their mentors-- tend to learn differently than foals turned out with other foals. I believe they acquire a little more respect and this affects their attitude in future training. Here's Hendrix with his Aunt - Dream A Little Dream and RedBird. Play is OK until Little Dream decides-- enough !





OYY Buster Brown is another colt born in the fall and he spent months with his Mom and other older mares until weaning. I notice the same phenomenom.
Three days ago, I moved Hendrix and his Mom to share space with Jockomo and Iko.. this way when he is weaned, he'll have other foals as pals.
My daughter and I have been riding quite a bit... all road due to too much snow still. In addition to all our regular loops, we have brainstormed some new ones... driving it in the car first to see how many miles. I never used to be much of a "road " rider, but I am totally enjoying it. The scenery is beautiful -- the brooks have gorgeous icicle formations and since we have not ridden these roads in years-- all new stuff from horseback. One of our routes starts out on dirt road and we end up looping home on the highway
During the week we stick to the well known by-ways, as we have to squeeze our rides between other chores and lessons.. we tend to ride the shorter familiar itineraries-- mainly the 6, 8 or 10 mile loops. We have planned another new voyage for this coming Sunday-- so I hope the weather co-operates. It's a fun challenge to come up with longer rides that don't back track.
Enjoy your days ~



No comments: