Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Old News - New news and a very busy week

As always, when one puts off a project-- it keeps mounting up until you are far behind. There's so much to do on the farm with several shows coming up and pastures to maintain.. I have not been very diligent about posting news and photo's.

Last week-- on my birthday -- which now seems like very old history.. we managed to have 2 rides out. The first was planned, the second one-- a 'spur' of the moment. My daughter and I wanted to have a special ride for my birthday, but until that morning, we could not come up with a NEW trail to try. As we were saddling up, I had the thought.. let's try the Hospital Trail. I have been down that trail only once a long time ago on the 4-wheeler-- Zoe has never been on it. So that's where we headed. We trot up the Snow's Trail to Monument Hill - and again, like so many old Vermont roads.. the road ends and trail begins. Here, we wonder-- which way ? There were many offshoots, so we plan on heading back over there again soon to do some more exploring.







We choose this way.
It was a steady downhill all the way.








Eventually it comes out right by the hospital, but we decided to take a left to head home on a very steep wooded trail which eventually exits onto another dead end.
Much steeper than it looks here, the horses and riders worked hard.
When we got out onto the road to head home, the horses were happy to trot and canter on more level going. I am sure I added a few muscles to my thighs on this ride.



Zoe has had Winter Dancer at her house for a few weeks- time to switch mounts. That evening, I saddled up Sweet Bee to ride to Zoe's to meet her so we could ride home together. Funny how when you are riding alone, the trail has a entirely different look to it-- as Sweet Bee and I rode along, we were both hoping we were heading correctly.

The woods are a bit darker at sundown. Sweet Bee was confident her rider knew the way, she was great about listening and I was great about pretending I did know perfectly where I was going :)




Just as I reached the opening to Zoe's dead end road, my cell phone rang--- where are you guys ??
But-- there's Zoe and Dancer waiting patiently for us.





In the evening, the shadows are long - the rays of the setting sun strong. I love an end of the day trot out.









Here's the beaver pond behind us as we are almost home.









Short ride but fun !







During the week, the vet came out to do rabies vaccinations on all the horses. Partly due to the riding center with people coming and going, I feel more assured with an official certificate on each horse just in case. I had the opportunity to snap this head shot of OYY Cosette.

She is a beautiful smooth coated large pony mare. She has been ridden but not since last year. She's been busy growing and maturing- and probably next week, we'll move her up closer to the barn to start up her saddle training again.


OYY Little "Z" has been in training- long lining and ground driving-- coming along very well. She had the opportunity to cross the bridge and walk over the teeter totter in harness.
She's nearly ready to be backed.






"Z" 's full younger brother, OYY Hollis Brown, is up for training.. he's only 2 years old but there's plenty for him to learn on the ground.






Lastly-- I found kittens hidden in my hay loft. Not wanting them to end up as wild feral un-neutered cats- I captured them and we have been doing some kitten de-sensitizing all week. Zoe's children- Rena and Dominic have enjoyed their kitten training.
Here's Dominic- kitten whisperer - with the lot of them. Some one has a Siamese tom on the prowl in the neighborhood I guess, because 2 of them are marked like Siamese (Frankie and Little Ears). Kittens are fun -
Today it's raining- which is welcome.. it's been dry here and last week, it seems most all farmers finished baling their first cut. I'll probably spread a little fertilizer on the grass which has already been grazed and closed off so it will sprout back quickly to that sweet tender nibbling the horses are so fond of.
Enjoy your day ~

No comments: