Sunday, May 3, 2009

Training, Riding, and Show Day

Today Zoe and I are getting an early start- She has her first show of the season and her first ride time is at 8:30. Originally, Zoe was planning on bringing OYY Salvadore and has been schooling him regularly. This past week, the show secretary called to say-- no stallions allowed at this show ! So, last minute change-- OYY Elektra still has fairly current coggins papers from her show last fall. Zoe practiced with Elektra all week and they should be ready. We already signed up for the Intro tests A and B, since -- for Salvadore it would have been his first time out and about-- we are hoping Elektra does well-- A and B should be pretty easy for her, but we did just pull her out of the pasture and not a lot of riding all winter.

OYY Little "Z" has graduated to long lining and ground driving work this past week and is doing splendidly.
"Z" is a maternal sister to Elektra. She's just coming 3 years old and measures just about 15 hands. She's going to make a super mount.





OYY Queen Jane Approximately (out of Lilly and Mead's Chocolate Chip) is a full sister to OYY The Mighty Quinn. Quinn is the sire of Elektra-- he has had a pretty successful show career in his new home, which you can read about on his page, linked to his name. Queen is currently working on the obstacles. So far we have not been able to scare her much.








She's a proud and
sensible young lady.









During the week, Zoe and I got out to ride quite a few times. Thursday, we took Keri and OYY Ivan out on what we call the Pooh Tree trail. Last time I rode that trail by myself with Keri, I got lost-- so I wanted to tramp the route down a bit and leave some hoofprints as markers so I can ride it with Sweet Bee in the evenings without having to dial up Zoe on my cell phone to find out where I am.

We start out across the road onto a new road I have been building up the mountain.



When we reach the top, where my property ends, we get into the pine wood- we call this the silver disk trail.

















We trot along this trail until we come out onto the end of the dead end road where Zoe lives.



Down a pretty steep hillside and here's the Pooh Tree.









Another 2 trails we have not ridden on since last year- the Scott trail and the Apple Tree Trail.. also needed some "marking" so we went out on those two, which link up nicely with a short road trot in between-- with Keri and Teasel.





This start of the Scott trail used to be completely clear. Those little pines grow fast. Keri seemed excited about traveling this way.. so she took the lead with a nice trot, some cantering. Right about here, I was about to turn left-- she insisted... not the right way. Zoe yelled from behind... listen to your mare Mom she knows the way ! Keri knows this trail pretty well I guess.




This truck passed us on the road between the two trails and drove quite slowly.. my horse became impatient and wanted to canter past him. It was kind of humorous.





Here's the "entrance" to the Apple Tree trail. Down at the bottom of the little hill, is a brook and a very old bridge. we used to cross here on the bridge-- but not anymore... too rickety. We just splash through the brook now.









After the brook is where I always get confused when I'm by myself. Actually this day, Zoe missed a turn- but not a problem.




It's difficult to snap a photo that shows how steep this hill is. I'll never forget the day we kind of 'discovered' this trail (maybe 15 years ago) and I saw the hill from the other end... wow... if you are at the bottom , you need to get your horses moving a bit to get to the top.





When we got home, I gave Keri a bath. The hot water is all hooked up in the barn now, so much more enjoyable to have a bath and give one.












Another new house cat--- Miss Kitty (going with my Missy theme)


She's an odd little miss with her flat face (part Persian maybe?). Lots of hair that needs brushing. According to the woman who owned her before me, Miss Kitty was a Russian Spy in a former life... she acts like one too with her furtive slinks around the house. She does seem to understand English pretty well though, as I told her she needed a bath-- and I did not see her for a week. She is obviously still fairly intelligent in undercover work... I know she did not miss any meals during that time.


Enjoy your day ~

No comments: