Thursday, May 14, 2009

Lilacs, Springtime and our New Appaloosa !

Grass breath and peepers- like the champagne and caviar of spring time for the senses. And everywhere I look there is something to attend to. And it's not just the horses that are enjoying the new green treat !



I mentioned in a previous blog post-- spring is early this year... each year, my Dad and I e-mail to see who has the earliest Lilacs. We both have May birthdays.. will the lilacs bloom on his birthday or mine ? This spring-- we both win--

These buds will most likely be in full bloom for my big day (next week) and the lilac blossoms on a bush I planted several years ago are already out-- for my Dad's big day. I don't think I can remember a spring with Lilacs so soon.



Zoe and I got out for a quick trot with Keri and Ivan. One of our favorite trail activities is to cross the highway and follow the brook.
We can walk and trot up the little brook quite a ways- ducking under trees and branches





and stepping up the various little "waterfalls" along the way.









A big change on the trail-- leaves are fully out ! This makes every trail seem like a new one after traveling in winter.








Now the horses are almost fully shedded-- and this spring we discover-- we have a new appaloosa mare !! OYY Hecate (out of Lilly and Frostfire's Tadpole) was always a very dark bay, almost black mare. This year, she shed out to expose her new spots and frosting--



Here she is as a 3 day old newborn and as a 2 year old. No white whatsoever.. Appy coloring is funny like that.







So I wonder now how my new little appaloosa colored curly pony colt, OYY Matisse, will end up looking like ?







Off to prepare for 'Farrier Day'... lots of hooves to trim. for me one of those necessary evils- because it's so boring to stand and hold horses all morning.
Enjoy your day ~

No comments: