Friday, July 24, 2009

Riding with the Fireflys




Lately, our days have been quite full and Zoe and I have taken to going out in the evenings for our in the saddle cruises. Wednesday evening, Zoe worked Elektra first in the ring- practicing her training level 1 and 2 tests.







Elektra's new work out schedule of a brisk trot and canter down the road is helping her, I think-- a little more energy and collection in her circles.





While Elektra does her dressage thing in the center of the ring.. I school Keri a bit over some jumps.. which I mentioned awhile back I am trying for the first time this year. 2'4" is my highest jump so far... before summer ends I will try the high one we just trot past for now. I am also teaching Keri (and myself) to take the lead in a canter that I have asked for. She's great about taking up the canter on the road or trail when I cue her-- just that she chooses which lead she wants (and it's usually the right lead- her strong side) Now, she will actually take the lead I ask for whenever- or where ever. Back when we did some shows together, she was always on the ball (or on the cue) but we've gotten a tad 'lazy' over the years just trotting on trail and enjoying ourselves. And it's always good for Elektra to be concentrating on her work while Keri and I are gallumphing along on the outside rail. :)

Time to head out - probably we'll do the 10 or 12 mile loop... Keri and Elektra have made a super riding as they trot and canter side by side the whole time pretty much. Unless Elektra truly opens up -- Keri can't quite keep up with Elektra's long ground covering strides, but she surely puts in a solid effort.

The sun is just setting so we'll be riding in the dusk and dark soon.












Usually I have my camera set on the 'sport' setting --as I trot along I can take lots of photo's. The shutter speed is very quick.. but as dusk settles.. I have to change over to the 'night' shutter speed.. which means the aperture is open for a longer time to capture what little light there is. Too dark for the sport setting here - Zoe puts on her white shirt so we are more visible just in case.







A different kind of photo results when you use the flash -




















The traditional 'Keri ears' shot








There were lots of fireflies out - which would have been neat if I could have gotten them in a picture. As we trotted along-- Elektra's shoes would strike rocks and give up a bright spark.. kind of cool! :)



We trotted off into some trail briefly on the way home--










night time traffic -- I guess I moved the camera ... night shots are so much trickier on horseback.. with the slower shutter speed you can't move an iota.






Here we are at home.. the farm sign is lit up with solar lights. We had a lot of fun and plan to take another Firefly trek again soon.






Thursday, Zoe had the chance to ride OYY Finnegan.. it's been awhile since he was out under saddle.. maybe back in March ? He did not forget a thing- although somewhat reluctant to move out energetically in the ring.. understandable with that much time off. He's such a great fellow- so good natured. And such a lovely face and expression with his soft eyes.









I am glad he's still ready to go even after so much time off. What a great Curly pony stud... pastures with his gelding buddies when he is not breeding mares.. and so willing under saddle. Finn is still 13.2 hands at 4 years old.





Yesterday I got some updated photo's of some of Finn's offspring.


Here's one of our newest volunteers - Cassie, with Beowulf. OYY Beowulf was born very early in the year, so he has been weaned already. A lovely dark buckskin with those sharp high black legs.. He's a very nice pony colt !









Cassie is a slim little peanut.. she makes Beowulf appear large.




Here he is next to his pasture mate-- goofy Chester who is just about the same age and a full size "horse" foal. That donkey ear impression is just so not attractive Chester !








OYY Matisse is fully shedded out and still handsome.









And little curly pony colt OYY Piccolo is now sporting spots ! I tried to rub the larger ones off... in case it was grime.. but they are most definitely black spots. lots of small ones developing.



His Mom is a very smutty palomino and also blanketed with random black body spots-- so we'll see as time goes on how Piccolo will evolve color wise.





And at the end of the day yesterday-- Birds on a wire predict-- yet AGAIN -- rain.
enjoy your day ~

2 comments:

Susan Lejonhud said...

You are so imaginative when it comes to photography! The night pictures are super. I love that you are such a well-rounded horse person and are willing to try just about anything with your beautiful Keri. Perhaps Zoe should take the camera so we can see you jumping on Keri. An action shot! You are inspiring to all of us $39.95 plus S&H women.

Denise Conroy said...

I agree with you Susan! I love reading Betsy's posts!! I love hearing stories of Elektra. Gosh if I was shopping, I would have to snatch her up! Good job blogging like you do - it really shows off your horses and all you do with them. Please don't stop! Denise