Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Rising With the SUN !

The last two weeks have been raining- somedays intermittent, some days torrential. We have been squeezing rides in between the passing rainfall. Saturday we had a great ride out with Keri and Teasel.. with a downpour as soon as we untacked !

Monday morning- the sun rose strong, although the sky was streaked with mare's tails clouds- predicting more rain to come.




Early morning shadows high on the barn - my wind chimes casting its image. With rain every day, shadows are something we have not seen in awhile.






I figured I better get some mowing done- (those pesky buttercups on my mind !) So I hitched onto my BIG Bad red beast and mowed all the pastures I could safely drive on without leaving ruts. I suppose this would have been the perfect time to hitch a horse and mow the 'natural' way- but chores are backlogged and I did want time to ride as well. Lest you think I am a total mowing monster of destruction -- I do mow around the daisies :)

While I mowed- Zoe worked with Elektra- she has another show this weekend. Then I quickly changed into my riding apparel- we decided to take Dante out again. OYY Dante has had a few trail rides out- but has never done a completely 'road' loop. It will be good for him to trot out on the road- so different than trail work.


The rose bank on the way down the driveway is bursting with blooms.








The day lillies are just reaching their peak of flowering. Here, in New England, the roads are lined with day lillies- early escapee from colonial gardens - perhaps the first of which traveled over on the Mayflower !

We had a wonderful trot- Dante is curious and forward. We had an unusually lot of traffic- Dante's first Dump Truck. A neighbor down the road is building a new driveway-











We trotted, with some canters mixed in, the 6 mile loop in a little less than an hour.. and walked the last mile for a cool down. Not a bad pace for a still newbie mount !
Beautiful country roads.






Here's Dante coming up the drive- what a great fellow with a super attitude. Nothing can scare him on the trail.. and now he's the perfect road horse too.








great ride-- got some mowing done-- a good day :)
Enjoy your day as well.

No comments: