Saturday, July 18, 2009

Tractor Goes Lame -- Tire Man saves the day !

For some odd reason.. my tractor has come up 'lame' -- in the form of flat tires twice in the last 2 months. First time, the front.. this week the rear hind (can you tell I am an animal person ? )

Any one who knows me... knows my approach to those infernal combustible machines. I am absolutely dependent upon my tractor and attachments... but I can't help but foster the attitude that they are all contraptions of metal--- Hop on, turn the key-- and GO, right ? Get the job done. Well, it just does not work that way... rats.

My first experience with the flat on the front tire back (this year) was right around my birthday
... I went out as usual... my mind several projects ahead. Piled stuff in the bucket to take off to wherever and whatever. I'm thinking to myself-- gee whiz, this tractor is steering rough today.. what the heck ?? I hop off and slap my head-- a flat tire.

I dial up my Tire Man.. HELP !! A flat on the front is no big deal.. he saves the day with a tube replacement and I am set.


A couple of days ago.. there was liquid around the stem of the rear tire.. with my usual head in the sand thought process.. I decided it was just morning dew settling.. but as I continued to drive around and more liquid began spurting out with force (my rear tires are loaded for stability)... well-- time to dial up Tire Man yet again.


If a person does not mind being on call for emergencies such as this-- Gary has a great little business. All you need is a truck, a couple of gas powered pumps and compressors.. a few small important tools and you can cure anything tire related.

First-- pump out the salt solution into a barrel which loads the tire... so you can pump it back in when you're done.





Use a few flat looking tools and a nice heavy sledge hammer to release the tire from the rim.











I'm thinking here- yikes doctor, I hope we don't have to resort to amputation.






A quick patch on the inner tube-- and repeat all the steps in reverse- Tire Man saves the day yet again !! By the way, in both cases, the diagnosis was nail in the tire.


Zoe and I went out for a quick trot the other day on Keri and Elektra. Since one of the judges at a recent show commented that she is somewhat lazy.. we have prescribed more trotting out up hills and down


perhaps we need to build more muscle and let her work a little more out of the ring for fun.




Just to break up the road trotting a bit, we veered off onto what we call the bridge trail. It's a short loop someone has built for cross country skiing, many little bridges to cross and a nice trail.











Bridge ahead.. Keri and I step aside to give Elektra the opportunity to cross first. I think this is her first bridge.









She did great on all of them !






Short, quick ride or long one.. it's always refreshing to be in the saddle.


Enjoy your day ~

No comments: