Friday, April 17, 2009

Obstacle Fun

It's been a busy week at the farm. I have a long repair list to attend to. Heavy snow damage to fence and a few posts were broken off here and there-- one or two because I accidentally backed into the post with the tractor moving snow.

Yesterday, I was replacing one gate post which suffered from just that.. and I decided- I've been wanting to rebuild the entire line of fence anyway .. so as usual, what should have been a rather quick chore ended up taking nearly all day. But, now I have a new stretch of tidy fence much more pleasing to the eye. I guess it was worth it.

Obstacles are my main focus this month, with the RAC mini contest in the works for the month. I do love a challenge. Last year I came up with some decent obstacles using the Calmer, Smarter, Braver obstacle list. This year I am aiming for more, better, daring and fun..

I built a teeter-totter for horses and before it was even completed, Zoe came back from schooling OYY Salvadore in the big ring and tried it out. Salvadore loved it and found it to be quite easy. Here's the short little impromptu video of my little pony walking over it. He'd maybe make a nice circus pony ?! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuJMdgKObtA

What a ham he is.


Bad boy Salvadore ducked under the fence last year and bred a pony mare- we were all watching from a distance and by the time we got down to gather him up, the deed had been done. I noted the rendez-vous on my calendar and sure enough-- right to the day, OYY Niobe delivered our first Salvadore foal. It only took that one time. He's a lovely smooth coated red colt who is going to make a wonderful smart sport medium pony-- Niobe is a smooth forward mount and Salvadore is obviously multi-talented-- although an "oops" baby, this little guy does have all the right genes. His name is OYY Walkan Osier- Ozzie for short.









And since the see-saw is still down in the barnyard, Ozzie had a chance to try it out too.








Tarps are always on the top of the obstacle list and they are so versatile. We always use them in various ways in training. This week I put together a tarp alleyway. As soon as it was assembled and up, My Keri Luna (daughter of my lovely Keri and our talented and handsome Chip) tried it out for me.






OYY Little "Z" , a Chip daughter, has been up for serious training. She has been introduced to a variety of obstacles. Last week, "Z" did the tire and the bridge-- this week is 'tarp week'. Flinging the tarp at her from all directions, rubbing it on her on all sides- until she stands quietly and can easily wear the tarp














walk on and over the tarp from all directions and stand on it.


And more--




When "Z" is ready for the saddle and riding out, nothing should alarm her now. At the end of her session on day-- "Z" had a stab at the teeter-totter.




Mead's Chocolate Chip is pretty much officially a driving horse now. I made a short video of him this week. Third time hitched and first time trotting with the cart in the big ring. He loves to go down the road and perhaps he'll do a driving show mid-summer.



OYY Salvadore gets out with his rider, Zoe, several times a week. Their first show is in a few weeks so Zoe and Salvadore practice the intro test A and B. Here is a short video of Test B.
Salvadore also gets the "treat" of trotting out on the road and trail, which he adores. I am so pleased with this pony. Not only handsome but smart too. :)
I have more 'booby traps' up my sleeve for the horses, so stay tuned for news and photo's.
Enjoy ~

No comments: