Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Our Pulling Curly :)

Despite the nasty weather we've experienced on and off (with one gorgeous warm day in between), we've been working on our goal to get Chip (Mead's Chocolate Chip) expertly pulling a cart. Chip has been my main herd sire for a long time, giving me some awesome foals- both pony sized and tall and sporty. He also has some great grand-kids going under saddle. Last summer, we decided to saddle train Chip- even though his offspring are proof enough of his wonderful qualities, I thought it would be nice to show he is up for the challenge as well. He did well at his training level walk/trot dressage shows and has enjoyed going out on the road and trails for pleasure as well. Now- he's in harness and pulling anything and everything we hitch him too. I hope he can do a few driving shows this summer.
Chip started by pulling the evener- here he is wearing his driving harness with breast plate.











Next step- he is hitched to a truck tire and he quietly pulled that all over the place. The day we decided to bring him down the road- the town was busy dumping fill hoping to improve the incredible MUD situation, so Chip met a lot of traffic of all kinds.












He also met his daughter- OYY Sweet Bee out for a quick trot. That's one great thing about Chip- he pays no attention to mares at all when working.




In that time out on the road- quite a few town trucks passed us.

Here are a few of them waiting for their turn to dump their loads.




Chip has mastered the tire- so it's on to a heavier more difficult load- my stone boat. I acquired this stone boat from an old farmer
about 14 years ago and a few years ago had to re-build the bed. It's about 200 pounds-





Look at the wonderful old hand forged chain. For me, quite a treasure.




The stone boat was no new surprise for Chip- he pulled 2 people on it with no troubles. It's not so easy to sit on the stone boat though and maintain balance in the mud.






These are my "practice" shafts I use to get a horse used to the confines (without fear of damaging my good shafts). Sometimes the restriction of the shafts is what makes the horse most anxious. It also helps us teach Chip how to properly step over and push a bit with his shoulder, which he does not have to do when just hitched with the tugs to a dragging weight-






hitched to the cart- we walk beside and practice those turns over and over, both small pivoting turns and wide ones, until it's time to actually get in the cart and ride.





Yesterday, Zoe and I decided to try Chip in the old work harness I have had for about 20 years. It has pulled many a heavy load for my "family", with the help of the horse of course-- and been to log skid competitions and other pulling affairs. I bought it from a logger, so this old harness and collar has seen some serious work loads. It originally belonged to my extraordinary "grade" mare- Teena -who was 13.3 hands and 1200 pounds. I refer to her often in my blog as she was so special and has given us so many wonderful foals and grand-foals.




You can see the outfit is quite aged, but in great condition. Chip seems to enjoy pulling with a collar- all new to him that day.







Chip pulled me and Zoe all over the place- I got off the skoot/sled in order to get a better photo. I bought this old sled from a pulling horse teamster in 1986 ! :) Zoe has been a passenger in carts and sleds since she was a little bug-but has never driven until this year. She is starting to like it I think, even though she's been a passenger in some occasional "sketchy" driving situations.



Chip pulling both of us. We had fun despite the rain and spitting hail/snow.
Next week, Chip will be pulling the cart down the road in his driving harness.. but it's nice to know he's capable of skidding a load too-- just in case I need to use him for some heavy work in the woods !

Enjoy your day ~

No comments: