Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sun Power and Jousting With our Curlies


What a contrast in weather- yesterday was truly a day for developing the farmer's tan. Hot, sunny and more like August than April. I am definitely solar powered though and when the sun shines, so do I :)




This week, our young volunteer, Sara, came to help out as she was out on school vacation. In between lessons, she rode OYY Pal's Job through the obstacles. he has not been out under saddle since February- but he went very well-- what a guy ! Here's the short video from that day- very windy and rainy too.






Since my Number 5 son went on a school trip and returned to excitedly relate the supper at a restaurant called Medieval Times , it gave me the idea to try Jousting with Curlies. I have had my thinking cap on in order to design a course for our Curlies. We did not actually do combat but played the other games involved in jousting- the quintain, the Rings, and Pig Sticking.


We dressed our horses up - raided the kids's dress up box for something to wear ourselves. Here is Zoe , Teasel and Keri. The horses are outfitted with some 'Dollar Store' curtains.







An extra photo of Keri because I think she's so lovely :)








Here's our course- about 100 feet or so of targets.





With the Quintain, the rider uses a lance to strike a target, which simulates striking the enemy. We had a shield, a crow and a star for our targets. The target swings away when you hit it... so I had to figure that out-- The wind kept blowing the target though, so I still need to remedy that glitch.





The Rings- which the rider must capture on their lance. I only had two set up, they are about 15 feet apart. I made the rings a lot bigger than the ones they use in official tournaments. I guess as we hone our skills, they can be smaller in diameter.




A snapshot of my 'War Horse' -

Zoe had possession of the camera the entire time-- that was something new. She got a little video, although poor quality because her mighty steed was antsy to get in the games.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7gyhLAXCJ0

What a lot of fun we both had ! No photo's of the Pig Sticking-- maybe later this week. Now what other horse will enjoy the Jousting Games ? We'll see this week.

In the evenings, Zoe is riding WR Winter Dancer, also called Dancer Prancer... she's having fun in the woods over around her house. She does not mind being the 'only' horse one bit.

On my side of the mountain, I am continuing to take out OYY Sweet Bee so she can be in better shape to go the miles. Last night she trotted nearly the entire way. We veered into a trail and had fun trying a few log jumps-- kind of a novelty for me because I am not a jumper. I always miss Keri when I am astride another mount, but Sweet Bee is a wonderful mare, and perhaps a good replacement for Keri someday when Keri is too old to go a long ways out.

Enjoy your day ~

No comments: